"Good water, good life; poor water, poor life; no water, no life" Sir Peter Blake


Thursday, February 06, 2014

kiwi kingfish alarm clock

OK, this might sound bizzare, and yes, we thought it was quite weird at first, but it seems we have attracted the local kingfish residents to our hulls.  There are often 3 kingfish that are over 1m in length 'bumping' & 'bashing' our port hull, and occasionally the starboard hull.  It is amazing how violent they are, in fact I was woken at 4:30am by banging and crashing, and then splashing that I thought someone was stealing something from our cockpit, then leaping into the water with an almighty getaway with flippers on!  My heart was racing so fast that I bolted out of bed, Craig thought it was me bashing about, and we both ended up on the bow watching these fish with curiosity! 

Seriously, what goes through your mind at that hour is not that fish are using your boat as a scratching post!  We were lucky enough yesterday morning to have them do this at a more reasonable hour of 6:30am so I tried to capture them (not literally, although that had crossed my mind!). 

The other morning it was 5am and I was going to tell them it was a public holiday which meant sleep ins so they had to come back later!

This is certainly something quite special! 

 




 

1 comment:

  1. :) he he he ... funny you still first think about thieves :)

    ReplyDelete