Yes, it was on MY list of things to do, and it has been CROSSED OFF!... I am very excited that I have managed to complete at least two jobs that are visible on the boat!..(the first was antifouling).
We often work by the saying ".....If you are going to do something, take your time and do it right the first time...." and for these tramps they form an integral part of our working platform so it would be great to have them so they don't have to be re-done. Of course we are expecting to have to tighten them up if they stretch, but to have a system in place that we think will work is important.
Tramps on boats are one of the many challenging subjects that everyone has an opinion for. There are lots of ways of doing it, but finding the 'right way" that suits your own boat is often quite hard if you are trying to do it yourself. We have listened to advice, looked at examples, and have a little of our own experience with our own catamarans to look at pros and cons.
I felt that the Lashing of the Tramps deserved its own post, as it will cover a few different things. What we were looking at doing was trying to make it the easiest way for tightening, maintaining and replacing if we had to.
^2: Individual lashings evenly spaced
In a previous post on the Invisible Slugs I showed the side of the tramp that is fixed to the hull. This post is for the tapered side which is opposite the Invisible Slug side. This required a different tying system. We first tried a zig zag lashing that would essentially 'move' with the load being applied to the tramp. After walking on the tramp and giving it a stretch we found a typical fault that could cause problems later. The tramp 'moved' where the person was walking thus showing points of potential chaffing on the slugs. Even though Dynex has excellent strength, the chaffing is not good, so we decided to re-lash it again. We also found that we wanted to make the tramp tighter and to have less movement when load was on it. Typically this type of lashing would be quite hard to make tight without 'feeding' the line through and keeping load on it at all times - something that is quite hard to do on the water. Time to re-think the lashing design....
Pre-tension zig zag lashing to the front beam before the individual lashings were applied.
After a few design meetings with my other chief designer (Craig) we came up with a new lashing that would eliminate the need to keep a continuious load on while lashing, and also provide another safety feature - if one broke, the whole net wouldn't fall down. Something quite essential we thought, especially with adventurous kids aboard!